Połaniec is located near the Vistula River, 120 kilometres to the north – east of Krakow and 45 kilometres from Sandomierz.
During the 6th – 8th centuries AD was established a first settlement in Klonia Połaniec.
Around the year 1000 the first church for the Roman – Catholic parish in Połaniec was set up.
Around 1550, during the rule of Kazimierz Wielki Polaniec, which had originally been located near the Vistula River, was transferred to its present place.
In May 1794 Połaniec became a strategic and social-politic focal point of the country with Tadeusz Kościuszko Commander-in-Chief and his troops camping nearby.
On the 5th of May Kosciuszko reached Polaniec and on the 7th, in the barrack that was existing still in 1915, Kosciuszko signed the famous “Uniwersał Połaniecki” (the Proclamation of Połaniec).
The archaeological site of Łęg, Zawada, Zrębin and Winna Góra, and traces of medieval settlements in Winnica and Tursk Mały testify the long history of Polaniec.
The St. Martin’s Church and its St. Mary’s Chapel built between 17th and 18th centuries, are very interesting.
In the village of Ruszcza there is also a historical mansion with surrounding park of late 18th century.
In 1917 was built the Kościuszko Mound at the place of Tadeusz Kościuszko’s camp commemorating the Połaniec Proclamation.
A remarkable natural reserve of 2,45 ha. extends in Zamczysko Turskie.
Połaniec environs are excellent angling areas along the Wschodnia, the Czarna and the Wisła rivers.
Today Polaniec is an industrial and agricultural centre with thriving horticulture and fruit growing industry. The leading in the town is Elektrownia im. Tadeusza Kościuszki S.A. (Tadeusz Kościuszko Power Station), one of the largest Power Station in Poland (1.800 MW).
The town has 12.500 inhabitants. The majority of them are young people with higher education, who make up our enormous potential of further development.
At the moment it is one of the most rapidly developing towns in the southern-east part of Poland.